Skip to content

Timeline

7000 B.C.
Darug Traditional Tribal Group inhabits the northern Blue Mountains, including Mount Tomah. Earliest dated rock art on Bells Line of Road.

1600
Estimated date for the oldest eucalypt in the Garden.

1804
Naturalist George Caley visits Fern Tree Hill, now known as Mount Tomah.

1823
Archibald Bell discovers a route across the Blue Mountains, afterwards known as Bells Line of Road.

Botanist Allan Cunningham vists the area.

1830
Susannah Bowen receives the first land grand in the area.

1934
Effie and Alfred Brunet acquire property for a cut-flower farm to supply Sydney florists.

1972
The Brunets present their land to the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney.

1987
Mount Tomah Botanic Garden opens to the public on 1 November.

2000
The Garden reaches the one million visitor milestone.

2002
Darug Connections storyboard trail launches.

2009
Mount Tomah Botanic Garden acquires The Jungle. Lady (Nancy) Fairfax Walk opens to the public.

2010
The World Heritage Education Centre opens.

2011
The Garden's name changes to Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, Mount Tomah.

scripttarget