MiniBeasts - Stages 1, 2 & 3
Explore the amazing world of invertebrates. Learn how the environment provides for the needs of all living things. Investigate different habitats, observe minibeasts and discuss their similarities, differences, features and special adaptations.
- Stages 1, 2 & 3 Science & Technology
- 2 hours
- Royal Botanic Garden Sydney
- $12 per student. Minimum charges apply
- Take a stroll through the gardens looking at our wonderful native bees, honeybees, moths, butterflies and spiders, and of course the wonderful flowers too.
- Search for minibeasts on the forest floor and look for aquatic animals in our pond.
- Use dip nets, magnifying glasses and bug charts to identify and classify your minibeasts … don’t forget to return them to their home!
- Discuss minibeasts and their importance in our environment
- Learn about different types of minibeasts and their role in an ecosystem
- Explore the needs of a plant or animal in its environment
- Use fieldwork to identify plants and animals in the local land and aquatic environment
- Safely collect invertebrates and describe their features and adaptations
- Explore the lifecycle of selected insects and annelids, i.e., earthworms, stick insects and silkworms (if available).
The children absolutely loved digging in the dirt looking for minibeasts.
Teacher, Inner Sydney Montessori School