Save the World by Lunchtime! - Stage 1
Become a sustainability superhero! Learn about water harvesting systems and simple ways to reduce water use. Reuse a coffee cup as a pot for a seedling and discuss environmentally friendly packaging solutions. Practice sorting recycling from rubbish and save the world before lunchtime!
- Stage 1 Human Society & Its Environment (HSIE) and Science & Technology
- 2 hours
- Royal Botanic Garden Sydney
- $12 per student. Minimum charges apply
- Construct a simple rainwater harvesting system
- Look at the ways water is collected and reused in the garden
- Practice sorting rubbish and compare the properties of different packaging materials
- Reuse a coffee cup as a mini plant pot for a seed
- See if they can be an eco-warrior like George by revisiting the story to elicit new comprehension and meaning
- Take the sustainability message back out into the world!
- Actively participate in a retelling of George Saves the World by Lunchtime
- Recall the water cycle and model ways to harvest rainwater
- Practice sorting recycling from rubbish
- Explore which materials make the best packaging products
- Plant a seed to take back to school.
It was fantastic! The children absolutely loved planting the sunflower seeds.
Teacher, St Mary & St Mina’s College Bexley