Get Growing - The Calyx - Stages ES1, 1 & 2
Investigate the life cycle of plants as you explore the beautiful Gardens, and learn about different seeds and how they are dispersed. This lesson incorporates a guided tour of The Calyx exhibition Pollination, a planting activity to prepare to grow your own plants at school and a hands-on exploration of different types of amazing seeds such as floaters, stickers and helicopter seeds.
This excursion provides students with hands-on activities planting and exploring different types of seeds, and supports the Living World strand of the Stage 1 NSW K-6 Science and Technology Syllabus.
- Early Stage 1, Stage 1 & Stage 2 Science
- 2 hours
- Royal Botanic Garden Sydney
- $12 per student. Minimum charges apply
Excursion key themes:
- External features of a plant
- Life stages of a plant
- Needs of a plant in its environment.
- Explore The Calyx Pollination exhibition and see the spectacular green wall and floral display
- Learn about the life cycle of plants with role-play and hands-on discovery of seeds
- Collect seeds on an exploration hunt through the Garden
- Plant their own seed in our specialised planting house and watch it grow at school.
The most memorable part of the lesson was planting our own seeds.
Teacher, Brighton Le Sands Public School