Jungle Jive - Stage 3
The concert has already started! Find a ‘ticket’ to enter the cool temperate rainforest to discover the delights of this natural environment. Students discover the adaptations of the rainforest plants and mark on a map where these are located, using compass points and geographical terms. Take a photo of these plants and pose an environmental inquiry question to help develop a broader appreciation for this special environment.
- Stage 3 Geography
- 2 hours
- Blue Mountains Botanic Garden
- $13 per student. Minimum charges apply
- Join in a silent walk to listen to the sounds of the jungle. Use all your senses to experience this environment.
- Create a compass on the ground using loose parts to indicate North, South, East and West.
- Discover vegetation with different adaptations in each direction, checking the direction with a personal compass.
- Using a matrix of requirements of aspect, take photos of vegetation growing in those locations.
- Mark these locations on their map and pose an environmental enquiry question for each one.
- Use geographical concepts about place, space and the environment
- Develop geographical questions to integrate and plan an enquiry.
- Communicate geographical information regarding significance of places and what they are like as well as the way we manage these spaces.
- Use geographical tools such as maps, photographs and satellite images
- Participate in fieldwork using compasses.