Survive and Thrive - Stage 3
Explore the arid and rainforest environments of the Connections Garden and get to know the amazing plants that survive and thrive in these contrasting environments. In scientific research teams, collect data regarding physical conditions and discover plant adaptations in both environments. Touch and feel various native plant specimens and then complete a scientific illustration to show their features.
This excursion supports the Living World strand of the Stage 3 NSW K-6 Science and Technology Syllabus and is compatible with the Primary Connection’s unit ‘Desert Survivors’.
- Stage 3 Science
- 2 hours
- Australian Botanic Garden
- $12 per student. Minimum charges apply
Excursion key themes:
- Plant adaptations of rainforest and arid environments
- Physical conditions of the environment
- Complete an arid and rainforest investigation, using scientific equipment, to discover plant adaptations
- Use collected data to discuss physical conditions of different environments
- Handle various plant specimens to inform their scientific illustrations
A glorious location and worthwhile experience for teachers and students.
Teacher, Glenmore Road Public School
Links to sample units